Siding Installation – The Right Way
As a James Hardie Elite Preferred Remodeler, we believe that our job is a simple one. With James Hardie’s advanced, high quality siding materials at our finger tips and extensive hours of factory-training behind us, we have the expertise needed to properly install James Hardie siding on your home.
A proper siding installation takes deep understanding of the product and expertly honed skill, but it also takes a patience that many contractors lack. Each aspect of the siding project requires the attention of a detail oriented professional or it will not be properly installed. Even the highest quality siding will not function as it should if it is not properly installed. At Twin Cities Siding Professionals, we pride ourselves in our attention to detail and in the quality of our siding installation. No local contractors can match the skill of our crews in the installation of James Hardie siding.
Due to incorrect installations by siding contractors not interested in doing a superior job for their customers, James Hardie has diligently provided siding companies with the Best Practices Manual for the individual siding contractor to use. The Best Practices Manual details and clarifies every step associated with the best methods for installation of their fiber cement siding products. Neglecting to follow these directions is the primary reason for an inferior siding installation, and subsequent failure of new siding products. Below are some of these important details.
STORAGE & HANDLING OF SIDING MATERIALS:
Store flat and keep dry and covered prior to installation. Installing siding wet or saturated may result in shrinkage at butt joints. Carry planks on edge. Protect edges and corners from breakage.
- HardiePlank® lap siding can be installed over braced wood or steel studs spaced a maximum of 24″ o.c. or directly to minimum 7/16″ thick OSB sheathing. Irregularities in framing and sheathing can mirror through the finished application.
- Hardie Plank lap siding can also be installed over foam insulation/sheathing up to 1″ thick. When using foam insulation/sheathing, avoid over-driving nails (fasteners), which can result in dimpling of the siding due to the compressible nature of the foam insulation/sheathing. Extra caution is necessary if power-driven nails (fasteners) are used for attaching siding over foam insulation/sheathing.
- A water-resistive barrier is required in accordance with local building code requirements. The water-resistive barrier must be appropriately installed with penetration and junction flashing in accordance with local building code requirements. James Hardie will assume no responsibility for water infiltration.
- Install James Hardie® products with a minimum 6″ clearance to the finished grade on the exterior of the building or in accordance with local building codes if greater than 6″ is required.
- Maintain a 2″ clearance between James Hardie products and roofs, decks, paths, steps and driveways.
- Maintain a 1/4″ clearance between James Hardie products and horizontal flashing.
- Ensure gutters have end caps. Maintain a minimum 1″ gap between end caps and siding & trim.
- Install kickout flashing at roof-wall junctions.
- Adjacent finished grade must slope away from the building in accordance with local building codes – typically a minimum of 6″ in the first 10′.
- Do not use Hardie Plank lap siding in Fascia or Trim applications.
- Do not install James Hardie products such that they may remain in contact with standing water.
- Hardie Plank lap siding may be installed on vertical wall applications only.
- DO NOT use stain on James Hardie® products.
REQUIRED GROUND CLEARANCE:
WHAT IS THE BENEFIT TO YOU?
For generations, James Hardie has given their customers the very best siding products available on the market and their contractors the education and resources for proper installation. Twin Cities Siding Professionals has been dedicated to the training necessary for all of our team members to understand proper installation. We live it and breath it everyday, as it is the only type of siding we install. We are fully committed to giving you the best product on the market and a stress free experience with your contractor. If you want the best products for your home installed by the most professional company in the Twin Cities, you have arrived at your destination.
GET A FREE SIDING ESTIMATE!
Working closely with you to choose the style that will best benefit your home based on location, size, and personal taste, our design team will help you to select from HardiePlank, HardiePanel, HardieShingle, or Artisan by James Hardie siding. Each product offers a unique set of benefits and a distinct style, and each one is backed by a deep warranty. When you choose Twin Cities Siding Professionals for siding installation, you’ll receive all the benefits afforded to a James Hardie Elite Preferred Remodeler.
To learn more about James Hardie siding and what makes Twin Cities Siding Professionals a remodeler of choice in the Twin Cities area, give us a call or request a quote today!