One of best things about outdoor decks is they can be built to fit virtually any type of property, whether it’s sloping or level, sandy or watery. Here’s a look at the different types of outdoor decks.
1. Wrap Around deck – Wrap around decks are much like the wrap around porch found in certain types of Colonial homes, except that it offers more flexibility in its design. They are typically elevated, which makes them ideal for uneven or sloping properties. If your home has a panoramic, perhaps even a 360-degree view, a wraparound deck can provide the perfect viewing area.
2. Multi-tier deck – Another style that works really well with a sloping property is a multi-tier deck. You can have one, two or even three different tiers separated by steps or paths. It can be designed in such a way that it fits around existing trees and landscaping. Multi-tier decking helps maximize your outdoor area and can be designed so that each tier is a distinct space.
3. Attached deck – An attached deck is typically built at ground level, much like a patio, except that it’s made of wood or composite decking material. It can be integrated with other exterior elements like patio doors and siding for a seamless look. A patio cover or pergola can add shade to patio furniture.
4. Detached deck – A detached deck “floats” in your yard and can be accessed with a path or stairs. There are many ways to design a detached deck, a popular example of which is a freestanding gazebo. A simple platform can be integrated into the landscaping to create a harmonious design.
5. Rooftop deck – Rooftop decks are typically seen on urban properties. It can create an area that allows foot traffic without damaging the roof. It can also help reduce radiant heat absorption (which can be beneficial towards the building’s cooling requirements) and allow social gatherings. A variation of a rooftop deck can be installed on top of a detached garage.
Twin Cities Siding Professionals is your leading provider of TimberTech® decking and James Hardie® siding. Give us a call at (651) 967-0873. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment. We serve customers in Minneapolis, MN, and the surrounding communities.