Know your roof!
Your roof is more than just a big “lid” for your Minnesota home. A roofing system consists of several components, all of which must work together to provide the best protection against the weather.
- Roof Deck – This is the system of flat panels that are attached to the rafters of your home and form the base layer of the roof itself. Usually made of construction-grade plywood.
- Underlayment – Specially made felt paper or rubber membrane is installed on all exposed roof decking. There have been technological advances that have upgraded this component resulting in greater strength and breathability, which prolongs the service life of wood decking.
- Ice and water shield – This component is critical for watertight integrity in critical roofing areas, usually along the roof’s edge. The leak barrier is installed a minimum of 6 feet up your roofline from the edge of the roof at gutter/eaves (which is code), down valleys (where two roofing planes intersect), around the chimney, at the intersection of a roof plane and a vertical wall, and around any penetration through the roofline (soil stacks, vents, fans, skylights, etc).
- Starter strips – Another critical component, the starter strip is specifically manufactured for installation at all edges of your roofline to prevent wind and water intrusion under shingles.
- Shingles – These can be asphalt (most popular), fiberglass, tile, wood or slate. All shingles should have a written manufacturer’s warranty against defects.
- Flashing – Flashing is metal or copper seals that are placed around vent pipes, chimney or other protrusions to prevent water from leaking through a gap between the object and the roof. Also used in high volume flow areas like valleys and joints.
- Ventilation – Proper ventilation provides longevity to your wood decking and every other roofing component. Even more critical than this, proper ventilation helps to prevent the formation of “ice dams” that can cause melting snow and ice to back up into the home, causing expensive damage.
- Shingle cap – An overlooked area, this special shingle is manufactured specifically for different grade of shingles. It covers the peaks of your roof, enhances the roof’s look and validates the system’s warranty.
- Warranty – It is only as good as the company behind it! Twin Cities Siding Professionals not only carries manufacturer warranties on the products we install, we also offer a full 5-year warranty on our workmanship.
GET A FREE ROOF INSPECTION AND ASSESSMENT
If you are considering repairing or replacing your roof, your first step should be to call Twin Cities Siding Professionals for a free, no obligation roof inspection and assessment. No contractor can provide an accurate report on your roof from ground level. We will take the time to climb onto your roof and conduct a thorough and comprehensive inspection, then provide you with a written report of our findings to help you make an informed decision.
Find out how we can make your home safer, warmer and more valuable with a quality roofing system. Call Twin Cities Siding Professionals at (651) 967-0894 for a FREE roof inspection, evaluation and estimate.